From your first contact with us, until long after you have welcomed a child into your heart and home, Together for Adoption will ensure that you receive all the support you need at every stage of the adoption process.
Right from the start, you will have a named social worker who will stay in close contact with you. You may also find it useful to come along to one of our support groups or social events and meet other people experiencing the adoption process.
In many cases we can provide financial support with one-off expenses like car seats or bedroom furniture and sometimes on-going financial support where a child with complex needs or a sibling group is adopted.
We fully understand the ups and downs of adoption, the times when you may be feeling anxious or need help facing up to challenges. Even when you have legally adopted your child, we're here for you months and even years down the line.
If you have any concerns or questions call 01942 487272 or email PASupport@wigan.gov.uk. We're available Monday to Friday, 9am - 4pm.
- See our resources page to find useful information for pre-approved and post-approved adopters.
How can we support you?
We can provide support in a range of areas, including:
- Attachment and brain development
- Trauma, neglect and abuse
- Grief and loss
- Alternative parenting techniques
- Life story work
- Birth family contact arrangements
- Social activities for adopters and adopted children.
We also have a regular newsletter which families can sign up for to receive details upcoming events and news about the service.
Groups and workshops
Our groups and workshops are reviewed regularly to ensure we're meeting the needs of the families. We currently run the following:
- First Time Adopters Training
- Nurture Groups
- STARS (Safe, Trust, Adopted, Respect, Support)
- TAG (Teenage Adoption Group)
- Dads Group
- Adopt Parenting (16 week programme)
- Parenting Together (10 week programme)
- Introduction to Theraplay workshop for adults
- Promoting Therapeutic Attachments, Trauma and Change
- Talking to your child about adoption and using life story books (parents of under 8’s)
- Talking to your child about adoption and using later life letters (parents of over 8’s)
- Managing the virtual world parent workshop.
For further details see our core offer booklet.
Adoption Support Fund (ASF)
The adoption support fund (external link) is there to help adoptive families work through their child’s difficult start in life. Our team can assess each child and family’s need and advise whether a fund application is required.
If successful, each adopted child is entitled to £5000 per financial year from the fund.
The fund can be used to buy additional adoption specific therapeutic services such as:
- Play therapy
- Family support sessions
- Additional support directed by a Clinical Psychologist also funded by ASF (up to £2500)
For further information or to discuss applying for funding, contact the Adoption Support team on 01942 487272 or email PASupport@wigan.gov.uk